Government Access to Work


If you are unable to ride a moped due to a disability or health condition, you may be able to get help at work from the government’s Access to Work grant. 
If you are disabled or have a physical or mental health condition that makes it hard for you to do your job, you can:
• talk to your employer about changes they must make in your workplace
• apply for Access to Work if you need extra help
To get help from Access to Work you must:
• have a disability or health condition (physical or mental) that makes it hard for you to do parts of your job or get to and from work
• be 16 or over
• live in England, Scotland or Wales – there’s a different system in Northern Ireland
You also need to have a paid job or be about to start or return to one. A paid job could include:
• self-employment
• an apprenticeship
• a work trial or work experience
• an internship
You cannot get a grant for voluntary work and your job must be based in England, Scotland or Wales.
You can only get help from Access to Work if you’re doing ‘permitted work’. It’s permitted work if all the following apply:
• you earn up to £125.50 a week
• you work less than 16 hours a week
• it’s been agreed with your work coach
What you’ll get
You’ll be offered support based on your needs. This may include a grant to help cover the costs of practical support in the workplace or getting to and from work.
An Access to Work grant can pay for:
• special equipment, adaptations or support worker services to help you do things like answer the phone or go to meetings
• help getting to and from work
You might not get a grant if you already get certain benefits.
The money does not have to be paid back and will not affect your other benefits.
The grant can help pay for items or services you need, including:
• adaptations to the equipment you use
• special equipment or software
• British Sign Language interpreters and video relay service support, lip speakers or note takers
• adaptations to your vehicle so you can get to work
• taxi fares to work or a support worker if you cannot use public transport
• a support worker or job coach to help you in your workplace
• a support service if you have a mental health condition
• disability awareness training for your colleagues
• the cost of moving your equipment if you change location or job
Access to Work can also help assess whether your needs can be met through reasonable adjustments by your employer.
What Access to Work will not cover
You will not get an Access to Work grant to pay for:
• changes that your employer has to make (reasonable adjustments)
• items that would normally be needed to do the job whether a person is disabled or not
• support that your employer used to provide but has stopped
Check you’re eligible first before you apply.
You can apply for Access to Work online or by phone.
You will need to provide:
• your workplace address and postcode
• the name of a workplace contact who can authorise your Access to Work payments
• your workplace contact’s email address or work phone number
• your unique tax reference number (if you’re self-employed)
You’ll also need to explain:
• how your condition affects you at work or getting to work
• what help you’re already getting
• what else could help you
It will help your application if you’ve spoken to your employer about reasonable adjustments before you apply for Access to Work.
Apply by phone
You can apply by calling the Access to Work helpline. Make sure you have all the necessary details with you when you call.
Access to Work helpline
Telephone: 0800 121 7479 
Textphone: 0800 121 7579 
NGT text relay (if you cannot hear or speak on the phone): 18001 then 0800 121 7479 
Monday to Friday, 8am to 7.30pm 
To find out more information, or to apply for an Access to Work grant, please copy and paste the link below into your browser.