Norfolk County Council – Post16 Travel Scheme
If you reside within the Norfolk area you may be qualify for financial support to access a Kickstart Norfolk Moped via Norfolk County Councils Post16 Travel Scheme.
Who is eligible for post16 travel scheme?
The post16 travel scheme offers support to students who study at school sixth forms, sixth form colleges and further education colleges.
To qualify for the post16 travel scheme, students must:
• Live in Norfolk at least three miles from the sixth form or college (this is measured by the nearest walking route as determined by the Council). Transport will also be provided for Easton College students living outside Norfolk, if a student travels on the direct routes funded by the College.
• Be studying full-time (at least 540 hours per year supervised study – approximately 14 hours per week)
• Be under 19 years of age on 1 September, or under 25 years of age for students with special educational needs (SEN) (transport will be provided up to the end of the course year in which the student reaches 19 or 25)
• Be studying a course of further education, not an HND, HNC or degree course
• Travel on a core route determined by us
Transport will not be agreed to any alternative college, sixth form college, sixth form or other learning establishment, even if the qualification or course is not available at the designated core route establishment.
Students who meet the above criteria can live anywhere in the county and still receive support, as long as they can get to a pick-up point on a core route that serves their sixth form or college.
For Post16 students the provision of travel assistance will be assessed establishment by establishment. It should not be assumed that any travel assistance will be provided, although travel options, such as 16-19 discounts, may be available directly from operators.
For Sir Isaac Newton Sixth Form travel assistance will be available through the Post16 Scheme as for other south Norwich sixth forms.
Please Note: The Norfolk County Council Post16 Travel Scheme is NOT entirely FREE and if you are successful in your application you will be required to pay a fee in accordance to your personal circumstances and the amount you will pay will be confirmed by Norfolk County Council.
Post16 Travel Scheme Cost and Payment Options
For the academic year (September – July) there are three different options when paying in advance for post16 transport:
• Pay the full amount
• Pay in three instalments, one for each term
• Pay in six instalments, one for each half term
Please Note: You will pay a reduced rate if you are receiving qualifying benefits – information below.
On some routes, students can also choose to use a daily pass and pay in cash on the bus.
No financial contribution towards transport will be required for students who have an Education, Health and Care (EHC) plan, who are in years 15 and above (i.e. usually the year in which they are 19-years-old). Free transport will continue for these students up to the end of the year in which they become 25 years old, as long as they continue to have an EHC plan.
You can apply to start using post16 transport at any time. When paying in full, or in three instalments, the amount you’ll need to pay will be reduced after each half term.
If you pay for transport in instalments, you’ll need to pay at least 10 working days before the expiry date shown on the card. This is so we can get a new card to you in plenty of time.
This also applies to other travel arrangements e.g. taxis, as contracts with operators will need to be renewed.
Qualifying Low-Income Benefits
You can apply for a 25% reduction in school transport charges, if you’re receiving any of the following benefits:
• Income support
• Income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance
• Employment and Support Allowance (Income Related)
• Guaranteed pension credit
• Universal Credit
• The maximum level of Working Tax Credit (where reduction due to income is 0.00)
• Child Tax Credit if not entitled to a Working Tax Credit, when your annual income (as assessed by HM Customs & Revenue) is less than £16,190
When you apply, you must include a scan or photocopy of a recent letter from the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) showing that you are entitled to one of the benefits listed above.
If you only have a Tax Credit Annual Review Notice for the current financial year, because you notified the DWP that your circumstances haven’t changed since your last full Tax Credit Award, you must send a photocopy or scan of all the following information:
• Your original Tax Credit Award
• Your Annual Review notice
• Your written or emailed confirmation that you have informed the DWP that your circumstances have not changed since your last full Tax Credit Award
Make sure you send us scanned copies or photocopies of documents. We can’t return any original documents and anything you send us will be securely destroyed.
To find out further information about the Post16 Travel Scheme or to apply, copy and paste the link below into your browser and select search.